Oh, the city of
Melbourne…
When I think of Australia…. And why shouldn’t I
be thinking of this wonderful country…. Being a cricket crazy Indian, I
make sure that I wake up early morning every single day and switch on the TV
set to watch the scintillating cricket match going on between the two great
cricketing nations.
And every break between over, as we are shown the Australia
Tourism advertisement welcoming us to this picturesque country, I can’t help
but think and dream of only Australia. With the current test match going on in
one the greatest cities of this country, which place other than Melbourne can I
dream about. The modern, cutting-edge designs of its skyscrapers and buildings added
to the fascinating mix of heritage architecture, makes us feel that that this
city is never the same every single time we visit it, with its constantly
changing skyline. But mind you, talking about skyscrapers, building height
limits and heritage controls have kept the city at a human scale while
highlighting its diversity and creativity.
There is a lot to love about Melbourne – just
ask the locals. Melbourne’s lifestyle, the climate and its future plans are all
part of what inspires so much passion in those who live here. With the city’s
vibrant energy, restaurants, fashion boutiques, café-filled laneways, cool
bars, unbeatable galleries, spacious parks and village-like inner suburbs, each
with its own special character, no wonder, it has been ranked as one of the
world’s most livable cities.
We just
need to take a walk through the streets of Melbourne to really enjoy it’s
labyrinth of connecting laneways and arcades which provides us an ‘other world’
experience of intimate spaces and mystery. And believe me, it is while you
stroll through these streets, where you get a feeling of openness and natural
light, but still you find it home to many of Melbourne’s bar, dining and
shopping ‘secrets’.
The
streets of Melbourne provide a logical canvas for artistic expression and its
laneways are home to sometimes controversial street art. And did I not mention
that the locals also love a party, with the year-round calendar of events
offering something for everyone.
And if you lose your way through this
labyrinth, there’s no need to worry at all, because the locals are known for
being friendly and inclusive, strongly advocating the city’s strong culture of
philanthropy and volunteering. Looking worried and lost, and don’t be
surprised, if you are confronted immediately by the City Ambassadors, the
dedicated team of tourism volunteers.

Being and odd man out in a foreign country is
something which you would never feel in this city. Melbourne has a
multicultural population, being home to people of 140 different cultures:
Indigenous Australians, post war European migrants, and recent arrivals from
India, Somalia, Malaysia and beyond. Yeah, you heard it right! Indians, you
find in plenty there.

And in all these absolutely stunning things
that I mentioned about Melbourne, did I forget about its geography. For those
who are keen on this, Melbourne is located in the south-eastern part of
mainland Australia, within the state of Victoria. It is the capital of the
state of Victoria and the second most populous city in Australia.

But believe me, it’s not the geography, but the
lifestyle that makes Melbourne a magnet for so many people lie in the
combination of these things. It is the sum of its parts – and more.

My entry for “Fly to Melbourne” – a contest by Indiblogger.

It's only fair to share...

You might also like …

10 thoughts on “My reason for falling in love with Melbourne, the most livable city in the world

• Great post! After reading your post & watching all the videos, I’d most like to visit the Dandenong Ranges for it’s scenic beauty, breathtaking view and cool breeze blowing through my hair. 😛 I’d give anything away for driving through the winding roads which are present throughout the ranges. I’d love to stay at one of the bed and breakfast cottages and go on frequent excursions in the forests with my camera which provides excellent views. And not to forget the famous ride in the Puffing Billy, a day reserved especially for that. To add to that, there are also several picnic spots for me and my friends to spend a fun-filled day and the ranges are a perfect spot for hiking and cycling.

Wish you and your blog a happy new year! 😀

• Wonderful post and interesting videos that make me feel that
    Melbourne invites the eternal romantic in me to hold hands with my beloved and go see the Twelve Apostles .Go on long drives on the great ocean road. In the middle of nowhere in a vineyard spread a table and enjoy a meal and a glass of wine with my dear one. Enjoy the sunsets holding hands and do lots of shopping at the Queen Victoria Market and see all the graffiti being created at the hosier lane.
    Great Post and interesting videos watching them I am sure to visit Sovereign Hill for spending some time in the era gone by. The lure of gold and panning for some nuggets is a temptation that is too much to resist. After I have found the gold I am bound to celebrate it with some wine so I will visit the vineyards and enjoy some great wine from the Yarra region .Visit the Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory and have my fill with this yummy delight.
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in/2014/12/melbourne-selfie-capital-of-australia.html
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in

• Nice post. And pretty well explained. I absolutely loved the way you described the places in detail. Your post gives me a feeling that I've been there in Australia for myself. Of all, I would like to go and experience the hot air balloon ride. Would be an awesome experience, that too one, memorable for an entire lifetime.

– Ranjith (http://www.alightheartedtalk.com)

• I am a kind of person who loves to live every second lively. And Melbourne is the most liveable city. My friends who work in Australia always say its the best place to live and work on this planet. So I always had that longing to visit the country.
    I am a big fan of Tea, and since Melbourne is known for Tea culture, I would love to have Afternoon tea at Murchie's Tea.. I love those Whale watching and would love to watch a movie in the extremely high resolution and the enormous screen of IMAX Victoria and treat my ears with the powerful sound. Finally, I would love to experience the land-and-sea tour by the Victoria Hippo Tours and Adrena LINE Zipline Adventure

My Blog post:

• Interesting Post
    After reading your post and watching all the videos
    I feel I have stepped into a kaleidoscope called Melbourne
    Where Vistas of experiences would unfold one after another
    The nature lover in me is enticed by the thought of watching the penguin parade.
    Traveling though the great ocean road, soaking up the freshness as the breeze ruffles my hair gets me in the mood to pack my bags for Melbourne.
    But before I can move ,Puffing Billy whistles and invites me for a ride. The kid in me jumps with joy at the thought of visiting Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory
    Even before I can deside on the list of places that I would like to see in and around Melbourne.
    What’s that noise that I hear ?
    Oh its loud cheer from MCG as the cricket world cup 2015 is about to kick start.
    So many plces to see and so much to do.
    I am thetimetraveler ( http://goo.gl/wdXDzu ) and I have decided … Melbourne here I come ( http://goo.gl/RvUCQf )

• Some of the most interesting places which I shortlisted to visit after watching Tanmay and Rohan's videos is here. This comment space would be very less in order to keep on giving the reasons to visit these places once in life, but I am trying to be as short and crisp as possible and these are the must visit places if at all I go to Melbourne in my life.

Yarra Valley for Great Day out and Excellent Wine Tasting tour which seems totally magical. Driving around Yarra Valley in a beautiful and breathtaking places seems like a great country getaway from Melbourne city and so much to see, visit and taste.

Going for a Seal Watching Cruise and Observing those inquisitive & graceful creatures close up, is a trip one will not forget I guess. It seems to be a totally a worthy place for young and old too. So many seals getting close to them could be an absolutely thrilling experience.

Another place I wouldn't want to miss is Sunny Ridge Strawberry farm for some AMAZING Strawberry ice cream and strawberries, it seems like a strawberry heaven with delicious, succulent and mouth watering strawberries ever. I am sure this place visit would be a great experience for the kids too.

Have you watched Penguins parade ? If not, I guess this is the place to visit which is Phillip Island Nature Park. The experience to watch these penguins is Out of this world, a must see for great experience and its awesome

for Animal lovers too. Its like cute litte faires coming in from Ocean. I guess, this is a MUST do experience when I am in Melbourne.

Are you a chocolate lover ? I guess Pannys Amazing World of Chocolate is a must visit place for enjoying some mouth watering chocolates. Also, just watching the huge waterfall of chocolate cascade down is breath taking. And watching the live chocolate making is fun.

If you are a drive freak and love to drive around in some scenic spots, this is the place to visit which is "The Great Ocean Road". Seems like it would be a Great tour, great food and fantastic view.

Some more places which I love to visit is Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove, Loch Ard Gorge beach, Chateau Yering BBQ for some amazing Australian BBQ and definitely a hot air balloon ride for spectacular sightseeing and experience in life.

• Hey ,Superb post ,so all set to pack bags to have a thrill at Melbourne,Now being high on my wish list .U’ve very well covered the best of Melbourne and for the entry in contest ,there cannot ever be a single place for me.It has to be a bouquet of places to calm down my zest to explore it.So naming ,first comes the Great Ocean road not just to linger or have a decent walk but to amaze myself with Jetskiing ,Scuba diving and to try swim with Dolphins,seal Yay,these beautiful creatures would be lucky to share a swim with me.ha ha.Then it would be Eureka Sky deck, to have an awe inspiring experience to be closest to sky and get the sky deck view of this liveable city, MCG to watch and cheer the players on one of the worlds best cricket ground!

Wishing u Best of Luck & a great year ahead.

Visit my blog

• Given a chance to visit Melbourne, I would absolutely make a run for Eureka Skydeck 88..Imagine the view of the city from such a great height of over 300 metres and while you are suspended in air in a glass box!
    This is an experience not to be missed and I hope I get a chance to visit Melbourne and go explore Eureka Skydeck 88 soon 🙂
    -Nikita @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

• Being a person who loves to travel this place has struck my eye.
    And here, Eureka Skydeck 88 is going to be first on my list.. i can just imagine the view after reading about it and i feel its going to be awesome.
    Then the St. Kilda Beach,the long walk on the beach during the sunset will be just perfect.. And finding gold is also there.. 😀
    why not get my pockets filled with some tresure hunt..Laneways and Arcades is going to be the place to explore my "Lara croft" skills.. 😀 😀
    Melbourne is going to be a great place to visit and enjoy a holiday..